Followers

Sunday, September 14, 2008

Walking and your Health

As many of you know, in addition to being a Chiropractor, I also studied exercise physiology and biomechanics and hold a degree in Kinesiology.  The basics of exercise physiology helps us understand the effects of exercise on the body.  Walking, yes walking is considered exercise, with a wide array of positive changes to your body from increasing bone density (lower extremities) and improving cardiovascular health among others.  

Last week, in the Health section of the L.A. Times on Monday September 8th there was a great article on the benefits of walking which in addition to helping your body, has been found to also help your mind.  According to the article, increased brain activity was noted in people who walk vs. people who didn't, and cognitive scores were also noted to increase.  To read the full article go to: http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-walking8-2008sep08,0,1211968.story.

The basics of this article say to me: the firing the the mechano-receptors in the muscles cause a subsequent firing of neurons in the brain.  This is very similar to what happens when you deliver a chiropractic adjustment which creates a firing of the mechano-receptors in the joint capsules of the facet joints, creating more than just increased mobility in the joints, but also causing a "brain reaction" altering the neurologic  state of the patient.  To learn more of the effect of chiropractic and whether it can help you too, call me or visit my website.

I hope you enjoy the article, I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just read your blog and yes, couldn't agree with you more regarding walking for mind and body. I walk with my toddler son every other day. I take him in the stroller when he gets tired and while he naps, I walk for about 2 hours. Not only does it give the old bod a good exercise but after, I feel really refreshed and HAPPY!
Now does ALL types of walking benefit the heart because I don't enjoy walking too fast, like it's exercise...it's more of an enjoyment thing with a healthy bonus.