Followers

Monday, December 29, 2008

New Years Resolutions

Dear Friends,
now it's the time when most people think about "new year's resolutions", which as you know, nobody keeps (and by nobody I mean the majority of people). The reason that most people don't make it is that they set unrealistic goals for themselves. For example, someone who never works out and is really busy, and loves chocolate covered doughnuts decides to become a fitness buff and work out 6 days a week. LIKELY? NOT! This person should probably commit to working out two to three times per week, and would probably benefit from a group work out environment in order to be accountable and also make it fun.

So here are some tips to make your new years resolutions stick:

1. Set realistic goals, and when at all possible make your goals fun! (if you are not having fun, why do it?)
2. Draw a diagram of how to achieve your goals, step by setp.
3. Don't skip steps (self sabotage)
4. Make yourself accountable.
5. Reward yourself for the completion of each goal.

Let me share one of my personal goals: I used to practice yoga two to three times per week for years. I loved it and enjoyed the benefits of yoga. I somehow branched away from yoga when my favorite teacher retired and started to practice other forms of exercise such as running, rock climbing and tennis. Now I would like to start yoga again. I know that 2-3 times per week will be very unrealistic of me at the moment, so my goal is to begin practicing yoga once per week in 2009. Thats once a week, four times a month, fifty two times a year. Doesn't sound hard right?

Well, wish me luck as I wish you luck and good health for 2009.

Dr. Eric

No comments: